Microsoft Outlook users who want to prevent Outlook from showing “X on behalf of Y” to the recipient can download our free Outlook add-on here, uncompress it, and run the setup.exe application.
Microsoft Outlook users who want to send e-mails from different e-mail addresses have to configure each account separately with their respective e-mail services configuration. If these e-mail addresses are really just forwarding addresses this is overkill. Some e-mail clients, like Mozilla Thunderbird, use “identities” for this purpose, while Microsoft Outlook offers an inadequate solution. In Outlook users can enable the selection of the e-mail address from which the e-mail will be sent (Options/Show From in the compose window) but the recipient is notified of the original account. For example, if firstname.lastname@example.org chooses to send their e-mail as email@example.com the recipient will see the message “firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of email@example.com”. This is annoying because users who represent more than one organization or hold more than one position prefer to show only one e-mail address.
Our Outlook add-on is simple to use. It adds an “activate” state button in the compose window in the “on behalf remover” ribbon. If this option is selected recipients will not see the “on behalf of” message.
There are two caveats:
- Although e-mails are not received as “on behalf of” if the recipient inspects the e-mail headers internally it includes two e-mails in the “from” header and the same two in the “sender” header. This reveals the original account from which it was sent. If this is an issue you can use a default generic account like firstname.lastname@example.org to hide it.
- This plugin works for sending e-mails via an SMTP server. Microsoft Exchange uses a different protocol.
- The add-in is not currently handling appointments. If you need this option just drop us a line in the comments.
- Outlook 365 Plugin Development
- Reverse Engineering Services
- Application Packaging Services
- Data Loss Prevention Solution Development
- Custom Software Development Company
If you liked this article, you might also like:
- Integrating Dropbox with Microsoft Outlook
- Integrating Google Analytics into your Company Loop with a Microsoft Excel Add-on
- Removing Active Content from E-Mails Sent via Outlook Forms
- How to migrate NK2 Auto complete cache “suggested contacts” from Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 to Microsoft Outlook 2010